Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Experience With Social Security

Note:
- If you work for the government, please know that what I am writing is pure fiction, and never really happened. However, if you are reading this blog as a mentally ill person seeking advice and council, disregard that last statement -

A few years ago, when tax time rolled around, I made a mistake and owed the government $10,000. I was pretty scared, but I called the IRS, explained myself and asked for mercy. They gave it, set me up on an affordable payment plan, and I must say the entire experience was good. I quickly dismissed the myths I had heard about how hard the IRS was to work with. Such was it with my dealings with Social Security over my disability.

Here is my timeline in dealing with Social Security for my disability benefits:

Filed for benefits; 3 weeks later was denied; submitted appeal; 3 weeks later approved. No fuss. No muss. (Filling out forms and requesting information from doctors took most of my time)

And "presto" ... my check was deposit when they said, and has been ever since.

In my experience, if you go to them with a genuine disability, you'll be treated fairly and kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment