Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Monday, May 9, 2011

"To Tell Or Not To Tell" - Shielding Our Children

3626 Catherine Zeta-Jones' recent revelation that she has Bipolar Disorder was "big" news a few weeks ago, and this week an interesting question has arisen. Recently on The View her husband, Michael Douglas answered "no" to the question about whether or not they had told their two children, ages 8 and 10.


At first I was strongly opposed to this approach. I think the more open we are about our illness, the quicker it will become "mainstream", and accepted by society as an illness, not unlike other illnesses. That was at first.

This situation is not about stigma elimination or acceptance. This is simply about protecting the feelings of two small children, who have just recently learned that their father has cancer. Telling them now might not hurt them, but is most certainly isn't going to benefit them in any way. And the mother's diagnosis of Bipolar Disorder is not fatal, so their really is nothing for them to be worried about.

We tell others for either understanding or support, neither of which is required of the children at this time. Let them live and, with their mother, support and love their father. There is time enough for understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment