Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Mike Freaks Out

 

The Continuing Saga of Mike’s Adventure in “New Med Land”

 

Started a new med yesterday, Trileptal (oxcarbazepine), used usually to control seizures. Since I’ve been going through quite a few med changes lately, I was leery of this new med from the start. When I woke up I was disoriented and felt a little short of breath.

This really concerned me since this was listed as one of the serious side effects. After dealing with this for a while, I sat outside of the ER in my car, questioning as to whether or not to go in. I called Dr. Rustagi’s office, and they said that I could come to his office or, if I felt safer, go on into the ER. After much deliberation, I chose to go into the ER. I realize it is hard for a doctor to step right in cadence to each individual diagnostic history. Actually, if it can be avoided at all, it’s best not to put yourself in this situation.

The ER doctor did the best that he could, considering the limited history he had available. But even during the visit, I was calling my pDoc, getting n appointment and making sure that my psychotropic med issued would still be addressed. (NOTE: too many cooks can spoil the broth)

Tomorrow:  Afternoon visit with my pDoc … should have gone there first!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment