Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

"ECT" To The Rescue!

I went in yesterday (March 19, 2008) for my second set of ECT treatments. For those of you who aren't familiar with this procedure, picture Jack Nicholson in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", minus the part that scared you, and that is basically what it is.

You go into the dressing room of the facility (hospital, doctor's office, etc), put on a robe - the pants stay on. You are led to a small, surgical-like table, where you lie down. An IV is inserted, into which goes a muscle-relaxant and sedative. The sedative causes you to sleep through the procedure, and the muscle-relaxant causes your seizure to be mostly internalized, thus not harming yourself during the seizure.

In my case, I wake up in a recovery room. Sometimes I know exactly what happened, sometimes I have no clue about anything. Today my situation more closely matched the first one. The only problem I have is my jaw is usually quite sore for a few days - due to clenching down on the rubber mouth guard they place between your teeth for use during the seizure.

I am scheduled for a few more; how many I don't currently know. I think it depends on what kind of process I make.

If anyone has any questions, email me, and I'll do my best to answer them. I'm getting to be somewhat of an expert (at least during the part I am awake for).

No comments:

Post a Comment