Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Time Out!

Whoa! That last ECT session knocked me for a loop. I mentioned how it did me in to the pDoc, and he had me skip this week. Thank God! If you have had the treatment, you know exactly what I mean; if not, then you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

This time I was pretty much out of it for most of the day. Things that I did on a regular basis throughout each day escaped me. For example, I knew that my wife and I ended up in the living room after we got home from work, but I didn't have any idea how. In other words, the steps that we took (and I am usually a very routinized person) totally escaped me.

Years ago, on my way into work one morning, I came across an accident. A man was climbing out of his car, and up the hill. I stopped and asked if he needed a ride. He did want a ride to the service station to arrange for someone to tow his car out of the ditch. As we drove down the road, I tried to make small talk by asking his name. He looked at me with a blank look across his face, and said, "That is something I ought to know, right?" The longer we drove, the more confused he became.

This was how my day went after the treatment. I was constantly encountering something I thought I should know, but I couldn't bring it to mind. It got better as the day went on, but it took a while. Anyway, I'll be "off treatment" for a week.


No comments:

Post a Comment