Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Just When You Thought Things Couldn't Get Any Worse ...

My poor wife has gone through hell since her stroke last March, and the last thing she needed happened last Monday. While trying to move the trash can, it twisted and, in the words of the orthopedist, shattered her left wrist and sprained her back. She wasn't able to stand, so after crawling across the driveway and through the garage to the phone, she called and told me what had happened. I could tell in her voice that she was shocky, and after ending the call I drove the 35 miles home. On my way I called the local police, and they went and checked on her.

When I arived home, it was obvious that her wrist was broken. She didn't want to go to the doctor, so I agreed and recommended that we wait a while to see if it was actually broken. Her pain was almost unbearable for most of the evening and the next morning. Around 1:00 pm we decided to go to the emergency room, and they confirmed what we really knew; she had shattered her left wrist. Her left arm was put in a cast, and surgery scheduled for the next day to realign the bones and put in two pins. This was the first time that Connie had ever been under anasthesia, in surgery or even taken pain killer.

She sees this as a big setback in her recovery from the stroke. I spend most of my time reminding her that this is a temporary situation, we can continue with her therapy and she will not lose ground.

I am flying by tthe seat of my pants, having never experienced anything like this. I don' knoow what I should do, I just know what feel right, and that's wha we do. This is the steepest roller coaster ride I've ever been on, and I don't see any end in sight.

My prayer: "God, please don't let my mania or depression kick now, for neither one of us could stand it. Amen."

Winston

No comments:

Post a Comment