Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Steppin' Out

Well, I finally did it ... I am out from behind the pulpit. The district, conference and general board now knows, and I (we) are filing for disability through the policy I have at church. My last day worked will be June 30, and my disability should be approved before that date.

Part of the process is having my doctors to fill out the forms provided by the insurance company. My problem is basically two part; physical and mental. My scoliosis and degenerative disc and joint disease makes up the physical aspect. These continue to worsen, and I'm having to use a cane to get around safely and painlessly.

However, my mental illness is my coup de grace. When I first read my psychiatrist's report, it made me step back a little. A few years ago, a report like this would have landed me in an institution. I think that disability approval should come easily. (Famous last words, right?)

So, one thing that I am beginning to think about, with my disability on the horizion, is what will I do with my time. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment