Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Monday, May 17, 2010

A New Day Dawns!

It looks like all of my bitchng and moaning about being a bipolar pastor is coming to an end. I have decided to take the advice given by my psychologist, therapist and orthopaedic doctor, and file for disability. I have decided that there is never really a good time to file, which requires being unemployed. However, my health is really beginning to suffer, and if I don't, I will regret it at a later date. This will be done in two separate stages.

1. First I will file with the UMC-sponsored disability insurance company. My doctors will fill out and return the forms I mailed today.

2. I need to schedule an appointment with my DS (District Superintendent), describe to him the situation and have him sign another form, which will be forwarded througout the UMC hierarchy. This will be the most intimidating part of the process, since I am scheduled to start my new appointment on July 01.

3. I have set my last day of work for June 20. So hopefully sometime between now and then I will be approved for disability. (I have discovered that our health insurance will continue while on this disability policy.

4. Once the process begins, I will be able to access 30% of my retirement. This will go a long way in paying off most of the hospital bills and bills difficult to meet lately due to the decreased income.

5. On June 20, I will begin the application process for Social Security Disability. (This can't begin until employment ends.)

So, over the past 14 months our life has changed entirely, with the exception of our faith in God. That has grown exponetially, and am confident it will continue. He has been with every step of the way. For instance, we had no idea how we cold get health insurance until we discovered it was part of the disability policy.

Welcome to the second edition of this website: Coming Out From Behind The Pulpit

God Is Good All Of The Time;
All Of The Time, God Is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment