Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Overwhelmed ... Under Supported

Bookmark and Share 

Over the past few months I have been faced with the news that I have dementia. After an MRI, blood work and testing, it was discovered that I have a vitamin B12 deficiency. B12 plays a key role in the normal functioning of the brain and nervous system, and for the formation of blood.

This explained a lot of my problems associated with memory and cognitive function. Unfortunately the regular replenishment of B12 only prevents further damage, and does nothing to rebuild that areas that have already been damaged. At least that is what I've been told.

One problem I still face is multiple-diagnosis; mental illness, deg. joint and disc disease, scoliosis, hypothyroidism. What do you treat, how do you treat it and which illness is represented by which symptom?

How about you? How do you deal with various illness symptoms? Are you ever overwhelmed by the issues you face?

Coming:  What is Normal?
                 Blame for Action; No Consideration of Reason

No comments:

Post a Comment