Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Writing Again ... Will It Last?

Bookmark and Share

I have intended for years to write about my experiences as a mentally-ill pastor. I spent years trying to find any information on pastors with mental illness, to no avail. there simply wasn't anything out there. I did come across a book or two about people with mental illness who happened to be pastors, but all they talked about was the church they served, their ministry, with nothing mentioned about how their illness impacted their ministry. This is my intention.


I want to address some areas that haven't been touched before:

1. How a mentally-ill pastor can function effectively in the church
2. How a mentally-ill pastor can connect with other pastors in the same situation
3. Show the "common person's" point of view*

* Most, iof not all, books offering first-person accounts of mental illness are written by wealthy, priveleged people, those with higher educations and fantastic jobs, or those who spend hundreds of thousands of
dollars during their manic exploits. These account for less than .01% of the mentally-ill population. You don't have to qualify at a certain level in order to have your life impacted by your mental illness.

It isn't so much that people need to hear what I have to say; I need to say what I feel people need to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment