Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Angelina's

When I stopped working in 2010, my wife bought me a membership to a local cigar club. I have enjoyed fine cigars for nearly 12 years, but smoking them in public anymore is banned almost anywhere. In the summer I would sit outside, and in the winter would drive to a local cemetery, sit in the car and smoke.

Angelina's is a cigar store that also has an attached area with over-stuffed leather club chairs, big screen tvs, kitchen, restrooms personal humidors and liquor lockers and a state-of-the-art air filtration system. I had always dreamed of being a part of a club like this, and the other members are wonderful. I go about once or twice a week.

If it were just me, I never would have joined. I wouls probably just sit at home and do nothing. It's my wife that keeps me going outside the house. But socializing is a key part of mental illness maintenance, and my therapist is 100% supportive of this activity. I pray I can keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment