Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

2009 - A Year of Survival

This year has started out with a bang. On top of all the challenges of being bipolar, I am beginning to face some physical challenges that were a long time coming. I was diagnosed with "compensatory scoliosis" in 1975. This means that it curves in both directions, and it twists near the center of my spine. It has progressed to 42 degrees of curvature, which is just a few degrees away from needing surgery. The twist in the center causes part of my ribcage to irritate that area next to my spine which , when overstressed, causes symptoms related to shingles.

I was also diagnosed a few years ago with Degenerative Disc Disorder (DDD), Degenerative Joint Disease (DJD) and oseoarthritiss. At the end of 2008, I had Metacarpophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis (the main joint of the large toe on my right foot was fused). Soon I will need to have the same procedure on my left foot. Recovery is slow, and I will never be able to walk normally again. (ie; big toe doesn't bend)

Yesterday I had a very simple, very typical eye exam. Either during the eam, or on the way home, my cornea was scratched. Sounds simple, but hurt like hell! The next the dr. put a contact on my eye (covers the cornea so it doesn't get irritated when I blink). So, just another irritant in the life of Winston Smith.

So, if I live long enough, my joints and discs will continue to deteoriate. Now if i can just get my MI to cooperate, and occur between ailments, I should have a very full slate.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I think it's important to see the whole picture so you'll know where I am coming from.

Ciao,

WCS

Oh yeah ... I might lose my job soon.
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment