Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Friday, October 30, 2009

A Church Can't Function Without the ... Paperwork

In the United Methodist church, churches are all "connected". This guarantees that none operate independently, but function consistently under the guidelines established by the General Conference, which meets every four years. Below this are Conferences, which are usually make up of a state, region, or sometimes multiple states or regions, depending on size.

Below that are the Districts, which are various-sized areas within a Conference. Within the District are the churches, which are governed by a Church Council. Once a year, a Cluster (small group of churches, similar in demographics, size and location) gathers for their Annual Conference meeting. It is here that budgets are approved, appraisals of property are presented, the trustees present their progress on building maintenance, verification of property ownership and current membership breakdowns.

We are told that all of the paperwork nedds to be turned in two weeks ahead of the meeting (which rarely happens) and must be accurate (which never happens). I just received an email from our district office informing me that four signatures are missing on the forms, and it needs to be corrected immediately. With all of the needed signatures coming from volunteers, the possibility of getting them together immediately is, oh, let's say, about 0. So, I offered to sign the forms for them, using their names.

I am waiting on the approval for that to happen. I mean, they will give me approval, so no harm, no foul. And with the possibility of my relationship with the church ending, I have to admit that I'm not too worked up over it.

So, in summary, let's look at the stressors in my life at the moment:

1. Possibility of losing job

- income, insurance

2. Helping Connie recover from the stroke

3. Selling the house

4. Moving to Florida

If God were not in control of my life and Connie's, I really think I'd give up. But, there is a plan, and He will see us through this tough time.

One closing "God Wink" (you might call it a coincidence):

Right before we listed ourr home, we gave in to the pressure from our friends, and buried a little statue of St. Joseph. It is said that if you bury him upside down facing the house, that your house is guaranteed to sell. In addition you are supposed to pray to him every day for 40 days, imploring that he see that the house is sold. Well, I haven't been consistent with the praying aspect of the process.

So, I went down to where I buried him, apologized for being lazy in my praying, and asked him to continue to see to the selling of our home. About 10 minutes after I went back into the house, our realtor called to arrange for a couple to look at our house. Really. (By the way, when I do pray to St. Joseph, I always pray to Him in the name of Jesuus Christ.) I guess doing this makes the process more Methodist).

More later.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment