Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Monday, April 25, 2011

The "Silent but Deadly" Cost of the Gulf Coast Oil Spill

3561 An article I just read brought up an interesting, often overlooked problem, associated with the 2010 Gulf Coast oil spill. First experienced as a result of the Alaska oil spill of 1989, the people affected by the 2010 spill are beginning to experience the long-term effects of mental illness. Absolutely every person was affected in some way or another; the worker lost money, the businesses lost sales, the property lost value, and on, and on, and on.




Nobody could go through what these people living along the Gulf Coast have gone through without experiencing some degree of psychological damage. Couple that with the 20-25% of the general population who already experience some type of mental illness, and what you're left with is a big mental stress-pot.

Surprisingly, the main cause of severe stress is not those people affected by the spill, but those involved in litigation.

It really scalds my oysters when a company causes damage to an area, to the extend that people's lives are damaged or destroyed, pretends to care, and yet drags their feet in reimbursing those affected. Ruining peoples lives doesn't bother these people at all. I don't care what they say or do, they're just like our Congress. As long as their personal finances remain intact, and their lives aren't impacted, they pretend to care, but couldn't care less.

They work for us. Why do we put up with this?

No comments:

Post a Comment