Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

3458What do the following have in common?

   - finding yourself late at night below the bedroom window, screaming at the top of your lungs that  there was an abandoned baby ooutside the window, and you needed to get to it

   - awakening in the early morning hours, crawling along the bedroom floor, yelling out that the house  is on fire and everyone needs to drop to the floor and crawl to the door

   - becoming aware of your surroundings, only after running from the bedroom, in the middle of the night, and hurling yourself through the air (as much as possible when 5'7" and #230), and landing in a heap on the floor.


Have you ever heard of somnambulism? I am sure you have, but probably aren't aware of it's official name. It is usually referred to as sleepwalking; being ambulatory during sleep, unaware of your surroundings. I used to watch my cousin running around the house, a sheet for a cape, playing superman, and wetting his pajamas as he ran. I've known people who seem totlly awake, while sound asleep, only going through the motions of whatever routine they are doing in their mind.

However, my behavior is new to me, and a little troubling. I have to ask myself why it is happening now. Is it a new med I started a few weeks ago, a combination of that med with others, or some of my meds whose characteristics have changed and now react differently in my body?

In the words of the imortal poet Jimmy Buffett, "Only time will tell".

No comments:

Post a Comment