Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Monday, October 4, 2010

SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL ABOUT CUTTING?

Not As Bad As It Looks ... It's Worse


This information was sent to me this afternoon concerning a seminar about teens and self-mutilation. This is an issue that not only affects teens and adolescents, but old farts like me. I went about 2 years self-mutilating, and I must admit, it was intoxicating.

I refer to Bipolar Disorder as the "faceless" disease. Since most of the pain is internalized, there is no obvious, discernable sign or symptom; it doesn't have a face, a tell-tale look or symptom that makes it identifiable. By cutting , I have put a face on mental illness; the cuts and scars are a constant reminder that I have an illness, one that is no longer hidden. (I realize it doesn't make sense to you; it doesn't to me now. But at the time, it makes perfect sense, and is something that must be done.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello All,

Wanted to let the Ft. Wayne area church youth group leaders know about an issue we will be dealing with this Sunday night at our Lifetree Cafe. All the info, times, etc can be found in the below press release. This is a very real issue many of our youth, and others, are dealing with. Please know you are invited to bring your youth to this gathering and also to invite other youth leaders and groups to come as well. If you are coming please email me with numbers to that we can prepare for you.


NEWS RELEASE (For Immediate Release)

October 4, 2010


Contact: Pastor Don Wismer
2417 Getz Road
Ft Wayne, IN 46804
260-432-1524
Don@AldersgateCommunity.com



Scars of Self-Injury Revealed at Lifetree Café



Self-injury is known by several names, including self-abuse, self-mutilation, cutting, burning, and deliberate self-harm. The causes of this behavior, stories from two self-injurers, and ways to help will be discussed at Lifetree Café on Sunday, October 10th at 5:30 - 6:30PM.


While approximately 90 percent of self-injury behavior begins in the teenage years, this pattern often continues into adulthood as a private way of dealing with hurt and pain. While some may perceive self-injurers as pre-suicidal, research points to this behavior as a means of survival—from sexual abuse, an alcoholic parent, or other stressful situations.


Filmed interviews of two self-injurers will be shown at the event, and discussion about how to reach out in love to those caught in this behavior will follow. In addition, helpful information will be provided about the various forms of self-injury.


Admission to the 60-minute event is free. Snacks and beverages are available. Lifetree Café is promoted by The Aldersgate Community and is held at The Mocha Lounge, 6312 Covington Road.


(Lifetree Café is a place where people gather for conversation about life and faith in a casual coffeehouse-type setting. Questions about Lifetree may be directed to Don Wismer at 260-432-1524 or Don@AldersgateCommunity.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment