Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

When Dealing With Me ...

There comes a time in our life when we realize who we are. This is after all of those years of trying to be who I'd like, while constantly being faced with who I am. When the two don't coincide, conflict happens. Even when they do coincide, they don't always work out for the good. If you've always wanted to be a drug dealer, and you have the characteristics, abilities and desire to do just that,, you'll probably be a pretty good one. Of course, that doesn't mean that is acceptable. Redirecting those talents into something more mainstream and productive would be the best bet.

After nearly 54 years, I now have established who I am; not who I wanted to be, or who I thought I was, but who I am. And when I'm with friends or family, I would appreciate some considerations:

   1. When you are talking to me, I'll begin to lose my focus after a minute or so. It's not that I don't care.
   2. Losing focus might mean that I glance around - looking at the so called "shiny objects". Again, don't
       take it personally.
   3. Keep instructions succinct ... around step 4 or 5, I will forget the first three.
   4. When you wander from your topic, I will be unable to wander back with you. You might as well tell
       the story in a strange, lost language ... I'll be able to follow and understand just as much.
   5. If you really want something done, don't ask me. No matter how badly I want to please you by doing it,
       4 out of 5 times it won't happen.

Sorry, but these are today's realities. I've faced them, now I would like for you to do the same. I'm sorry I'm not who I was, or who you want me to be, but that's just the way it is. As soon as you accept this fact like I have, the better our relationship will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment