Riding the Wave ... And the Trough

I am mentally ill, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I, OCD, ADHD, PTSD and a vitamin B12 deficiency (a key element in brain development). For over 12 years, I took anywhere from 5-8 psychotropic meds each day, and have been recently giving myself a monthly injection of B12.

In January 2012 I was hospitalized for depression, and management of my currrent med cocktail. Immediately all but two of my meds were discontinued and, after a few weeks of adjustment, and some near hospitalizations, things seem to be going much better.

I have been on permanent disability since January 2010, and am adjusting to life on a very limited income.

My prayer is that in walking with me during the ups and downs of Bipolar Disorder, you might find solace, and benefit through my experiences.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

On one of the blogs I frequent, the topic of conversation over the past few weeks, off and on, has been the existence of God. People seem to think that when bad things happen to good people, God should intervene and make everything alright. So, they think, that when bad things do happen to good people, God is either not there, or doesn't love His children enough to make things right.

What a "me, me, me" mentality! If God lets His people suffer, then He must not care for them. Then the decision is made that, "If God is mean and acts like that, He is mean, and I don't want anything to do with Him."

Just for a minute, let's consider what would happen if God decided not to let suffering happen to us. First, nobody would die. Life would go on, and on, and on ... until every single person, from Adam and his lovely wife Eve, would be roaming around the earth. Nice, huh? Think of all we learn about life through our trials and tribulations. Face it, take that away, and we take a lot of who we are away.

This reason for not believing in God makes no sense. We (mankind) made the decision at Creation to "go our own way". With that decision came a great responsibility and burden. God watches out for us, and shares out burdens, but they are ours to bear to conclusion.

I commented on one of these blogs that our lack of belief in God doesn't make Him cease to exist. He doesn't require our acceptance and belief in order to be real. One of my favorite quotes is explained below:

"Bidden or not bidden, God is present."

Carl Jung, the eminent psychologist, had this quote carved over the front door of his Zurich home, as well as on his tombstone. It is an English translation of the Latin "Vocatus Atque Non Vocatus Deus Aderit", a quotation he came across when studying Erasmus. The words are said to originate from the reply given by Delphic Oracle to the Spartans when they were planning a war against Athens: "Yes, the Gods will be present, but in what form and to what purpose?"(http://www.irishongrand.com/detail/179)


We live in this corrupt, dirty, violent world and, face it, it's not easy. We need to know the obstacles and dangers that get in our way, and how to avoid them. Living here, on this planet, in these times, takes special skills that we can only learn through trial and error or through the experiences of others. God gives us the tools we need to live; it is up to us to use them.

So give God the benefit of your doubt.  Realize that He knows what is best for us. Know that He is with you always, live your life as He leads, and where you are is where you are supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment